Electric Cars Motor Sport - Posted In General Discussion...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Hosted in the Cloud RSS

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

1 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2017, 04:19:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Electric Cars

Viewing: 0 Members and 1 Guest       Total Views: 17755

Offline Carl2
United States Posts: 647

I really don't see much advertising for the electric cars, some on the internet but there is constant advertising for the gas power cars here in the states at least.  As far as owning one it seems a bad sign when the insurance co feels it is safer to rob you because they are dealing with an unknown.  I don't think there are many people trained to repair the cars if there is a problem.  My thoughts
Carl2
Posted January 11, 2017, 20:54:27 PM Logged

Offline DaveMorton
United States WWW Global Moderator
Comfort the Disturbed! Disturb the Comfortable!

It's difficult to see the scaling problem this early on, but looking at the annual percentage of increase in production just over the past 5 years, and applying even a simple geometric progression (as opposed to a reverse logarithmic progression, which I'm confident will be closer to reality) over the next 5 years will probably see that gigafactory at or near capacity, and beginning to struggle to keep abreast of demand for just Teslas. And while it's by no means rare, (Lithium isn't exactly the easiest metal to extract from the Earth. That said, however, one of the extraction methods (brine extraction) is pretty cool (if you like the sciencey stuff).
Posted January 11, 2017, 21:24:11 PM Logged
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961!
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

Offline Data Topic starter
United Kingdom Administrator

Some nice info there Dave thanks Smiley

The brine extraction method looks interesting, more efficiently Lithium production, has to be a good thing.

Talking of battery technology, Samsung have just revealed something pretty neat.

Samsung shows off electric car battery that gives a 310 mile range on a 20 minute charge
Posted January 12, 2017, 17:06:53 PM Logged

Offline Carl2
United States Posts: 647

I just came across an ad for the Dodge muscle car 700 hp, they are also mentioning the Camero and the Vett with big engines.  I like the electric cars but it seems squeezing more HP out of the big engines is what gets attention.
Carl2
Posted January 12, 2017, 18:18:26 PM Logged

Offline DaveMorton

@Data: Let's just hope they have better luck with their EV batteries than they did with the S7. Shocked

@Carl: That they do, right up until the time that someone comes out with a 400HP EV muscle car that leaves those monsters in the dust. Cheesy Tongue
Posted January 12, 2017, 20:07:15 PM Logged
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

@Data: Let's just hope they have better luck with their EV batteries than they did with the S7. Shocked

I admit, the thought had crossed my mind too  Undecided
Posted January 13, 2017, 09:04:22 AM Logged

Offline Snowcrash
England Global Moderator

And while it's by no means rare, (Lithium isn't exactly the easiest metal to extract from the Earth. That said, however, one of the extraction methods (brine extraction) is pretty cool (if you like the sciencey stuff).

From previous reading and posts, I thought the limiting factor was cobalt. Most lithium ion batteries use lithium cobalt oxide but other types are available. Just checked world production for both and came up with these figures for lithium and cobalt.
Judging by these figures, maybe I was wrong.
Chilie has some of the best reserves so will probably do well in the coming years.

Of course we love the sciencey stuff.  Tongue
Posted January 13, 2017, 17:51:53 PM Logged
“I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline DaveMorton

We also have sources for Lithium here in Nevada, and one of the largest mines has entered into a vendor agreement with Tesla to supply the gigafactory. I don't think it could handle all of tesla's needs for the metal, but I would imagine it's a significant amount. Smiley
Posted January 14, 2017, 00:55:43 AM Logged
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

Things are moving on with battery technology I see.

Renault have as near as dam it doubled the battery capacity of their new Zoe model. The battery is the same size and shape as the original so it can be fitted in the older Zoe model.

Well I think it's impressive  Smiley

Posted January 19, 2017, 12:57:31 PM Logged

Offline DD1975
England Posts: 1535
Posted January 19, 2017, 18:08:53 PM Logged
Smoke me a Kipper I'll be back for breakfast - Ace Rimmer

Now that sounds like a rather timely announcement to me  Smiley

Excellent news  Cool  fingers crossed
Posted January 20, 2017, 12:36:41 PM Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]