Electric Cars Motor Sport - Posted In General Discussion...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Hosted in the Cloud RSS

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

1 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 23, 2017, 22:11:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Electric Cars

Viewing: 0 Members and 2 Guests       Total Views: 21911

Online Data Topic starter
United Kingdom Administrator

Slightly off topic but interesting. Feel free to move to another thread, Data.

Yup interesting video Snowy

I'm still to be convinced about Self-Driving Cars, closer to believing in them than ever before but ...

If nothing else I enjoy driving (most of the time), its about the only time I can really be in control of my life  Cheesy

I can see this technology being used in cars more for the disabled and the older generation. The latter couldn't come quick enough  Tongue
Posted January 23, 2017, 22:02:08 PM Logged

Offline Carl2
United States Posts: 681

Over here in the US the state has issued a permit to a self driving car for them to have a testing ground.  I think also a lot of large companies moving goods around the country are interested in the self driving vehicles to replace drivers. There is a long way to go but it has to start somewhere.
Carl2
Posted January 27, 2017, 12:44:44 PM Logged

Going to bring this back on topic with some figures that seem to speak for themselves.

This chap has had a Nissan Leaf for 5 years now and has worked out the fuel cost savings and they are huge.

In 5 years he has done 51000 miles in the Leaf and it cost him $870 in electricity.

The same mileage in a petrol vehicle would have cost around $11600

Now give or take for electricity and fuel cost variation from country to country, and engine size, whichever way you look at this the money savings do speak for themselves.

I will gladly listen to anyone who can poo poo this with fact, but please don't poo poo it with poo poo.  Grin

Posted March 02, 2017, 15:35:03 PM Logged

Offline Snowcrash
England Global Moderator

Pretty good numbers. Worse case and you need to replace battery, add £5,000. Not sure about exchange rates but assuming you lose half of savings it's not too bad.

Only other downside would be initial cost. Typical seems about £20,000 but from £16,680. Approx. £8,000 more than a petrol equivalent. Nissan site.
Posted March 02, 2017, 21:51:12 PM Logged
“I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good points Snowy and don't forget you save money on paying no road tax (in the UK), also save on servicing, it's mainly tyres and brakes but even the brakes last longer due to regenerative braking. So if you had to replace the battery you would still be quids in.

I don't know if you watched the whole video but he shows that after 51000 miles the battery had lost 1 bar. I don't know if that is typical of the battery life but ...

Don't think I would buy a new Leaf, depreciation on new cars being as it is but a 2 or maybe 3 year old Leaf with a good battery ( one that still shows all bars when fully charged ) might be the way to go. 
Posted March 02, 2017, 22:50:48 PM Logged

Offline DaveMorton
United States WWW Global Moderator
Comfort the Disturbed! Disturb the Comfortable!

Most EV's here are comparable to mid-size cars, price-wise, but the majority of Americans are still foolishly in love with their SUVs and luxury models, so until there's a larger price incentive, or they start making something that can travel for more than 150 miles the people here will probably not be interested, quite yet. But give us time. We Yanks are often slow at the start, but once we latch onto an idea, we don't let go. Smiley
Posted March 02, 2017, 23:11:00 PM Logged
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961!
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

Offline Carl2
United States Posts: 681

Very nice video he put out and he certainly made it sound good, I wish he mentioned how well they handle in the snow.  They latest thing I had read about the electric cars were how fast they were from 0 to 60, 2.5 seconds.
Carl2
Posted March 03, 2017, 14:25:33 PM Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Jump to:  

Site Activity
Most Online Today: 188
184 Guests, 2 Users
Data, Urania