Intel Coffee Lake PC Hardware

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Hosted in the Cloud RSS

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

1 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2018, 07:42:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum
Web
Gallery

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Intel Coffee Lake

Viewing: 0 Members and 2 Guests       Total Views: 123954

Offline Carl2 Topic starter
United States Posts: 1052

I've been looking at graphics cards, I've heard there are some graphics cards that exhaust the warmer air out through an exhaust port rather than have it mix with the air in the computer.  It seems some Video cards use heat pipes similar to what is used for CPU's  but one of the big things is keeping dust out since they are harder to clean that the CPU heat sinks. I've ordered 6 dust filters for the coffee lake and should have 1 or 2 for the HP.
  I was able to find a version of Cupid z and also a Cupid HWMonitor that works on this install.  I may go back to the ultra fast start mod again since bios is not required once it is set up.
Carl2
Posted January 08, 2018, 13:24:43 PM Logged

Offline Data
United Kingdom Administrator

I don't think you need a graphics card Carl, but I'm sure you are going to get one  Grin

You only need them for high end gaming or video rendering these days. You will be throwing your money away if you don't do either of them, also you will increase power consumption, heat generation and probably slow the boot time down a bit. 

Lets see what the onboard graphics can actually do in games, for all standard desktop work the onboard can do it in it's sleep.

Skip to 14 mins for the results, they are impressive Smiley

Posted January 08, 2018, 14:03:09 PM Logged

From the old days a good Computer needs a video card,  not putting that much money into it.  Really want to find one that has an exhaust out the rear.
Carl2
Posted January 08, 2018, 16:42:55 PM Logged

Ultra fast boot 7 to 8 sec boot to get to log in, pin number to put in only 4 digits.  DVD still works this time.  Probably not going into Bios very much and I have an app on the desktop to boot into it.  I'm looking at video cards that I won't be able to afford for a while, They make a blower style that exhaust the hot air out the back.  I've got some items from Newegg coming in in a few days.
Carl2
Posted January 09, 2018, 15:15:34 PM Logged

Offline Freddy
United Kingdom WWW Administrator

The old days, are the old days, Data doesn't make it up. You really only need a card if you are playing modern 3D games or doing a lot of number crunching like rendering and video editing.

It's your party though Smiley

I think Data is just trying to save you from wasting money.
Posted January 09, 2018, 16:50:42 PM Logged

I did some playing around with Daz ages ago, kind of enjoyed it, might be useful for that.  Not sure what the future holds,  not going all out on the video card just something to get me in the ball park if I want to play with it again. 
Carl2
Posted January 09, 2018, 19:11:29 PM Logged

Offline Freddy
United Kingdom WWW Administrator

If you are thinking of a card for Daz, then get an nVidia one that has as many CUDA cores as you want to spend. Daz now uses a renderer called Iray - it's tied to nVidia GPUs.
Posted January 09, 2018, 19:14:57 PM Logged

From Toms hardware Intel has a new processor coming out using an AMD Radeon Vega GPU's, it's staying with 4 cores.  Looking at Video cards my initial impression is they are expensive.  You could buy a computer for the price of a card.  I'm not sure how to handle the extra heat generated by the GPU at this point.  More bridges to get across.
Carl2
Posted January 10, 2018, 12:57:14 PM Logged

I have my package from Newegg, I took a look at what came in but since it was late in the day I put off al work till today.  I've got an adaptor for the M.2 and want to try it in the PCI e. A hot swappable bay for under the DVD for Sata drives and some USB flash drives. I have to mention the fan filters that I've bought.
  I took a look at the computers that sold with a Coffee lake processor to see what was used for the GPU, generally a Nvidia 1070  rather than the 1080,  they sold for 1,500 to 1,700 which seems reasonable.  The Nvidia  1060 seems to be good for me.  Not sure what I'll do with the heat generated from the card since my initial ideas for a build didn't include a GPU.
Carl2
Posted January 11, 2018, 12:48:24 PM Logged

I moved the M.2 to the PCIe, it seems the hot swap drive will take a bit of time so I checked out the M.2, I'm getting just about 2.5 GB read and write is naturally slower.  I believe read was 1.8 GB but I could be mistaken.
  The hot swap drive seems to be made very well, the problem I an having is it seems there should be a tray the SSD sit in and then gets pushed back into the connector.  An adaptor plate just won't work.  Probably the best bet is a brass piece of sheet metal cut and bent to shape.
  There is also the dust filters,  I already have a dust filter built into the case, in front there are 2 120 mm fans and the filter which is 1 flat sheet of plastic held in place with magnets.  The problem I see is removing the front of the case to get at the filter, I'll mount it to the front of the case.  I have 6 additional filter I bought and will use, I'm so tired of the dust build up I see.
Carl2
Posted January 11, 2018, 16:57:10 PM Logged

Offline Data
United Kingdom Administrator

Normally people seem to get around 3200 MB/s sequential read with the Samsung 960 Evo, your score does look a little low for some reason.

It shouldn't matter if you use an adapter or not, both methods go straight into the PCIe bus, they should be almost identical, especially on a new motherboard like yours.   

Posted January 11, 2018, 17:53:14 PM Logged

You seem to be right, the adaptor was low priced, the m.2 was located in a place hard to get at and I wanted to give it a try to be sure.  The M.2 is specified at 3.2 but can be higher or lower. 
  I picked up the materials to get the hot swap drive going and to move the air filter to the outside for easy cleaning.  Looking at GPU's and wondering how much I should spend. 
Carl2
Posted January 11, 2018, 22:23:09 PM Logged

For the hot drive bay something is needed to hold the drive so it can be pushed in and pulled out, I think I'll put that project aside for latter and work on the Magnetic air filters. 
Carl2
Posted January 12, 2018, 12:45:43 PM Logged

Four air filters were put on the fans and the air filter for the front fans was moved to the outside of the case for easy removal and cleaning.  I took a look at the inside of the case and think it should be easy enough to put a partition in and have two compartments, the lower one to house the GPU and a upper compartment for the CPU.  Two fans in front will put air into the compartments . 
  Going into bios and changing settings I got the CPU running at 4.5 Ghz, warm temps but still reasonable.  Lots of fun playing with this thing, it's the first time I got into over clocking. 
  The hot swap drive is moving forward, I need to attach the plate I made to the bottom of the sliding portion and the SSD needs to sit in a specific location to mate with the connector.
Carl2
Posted January 13, 2018, 12:58:49 PM Logged

Offline sybershot
United States WWW Posts: 1443

Looking at GPU's and wondering how much I should spend.
new cards are all overpriced atm, but it may be that way for a bit. If i build a system it would be no less than a1080
Posted January 13, 2018, 22:03:03 PM Logged
PC Hardware
Topic Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21
Jump to:  

Site Activity
Most Online Today: 45
40 Guests, 2 Users
DaveMorton, Urania