Intel Coffee Lake PC Hardware

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Hosted in the Cloud RSS

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

1 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 02:22:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum
Web
Gallery

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31

Intel Coffee Lake

Viewing: 0 Members and 2 Guests       Total Views: 257330

Offline Carl2 Topic starter
United States Posts: 1258

Newegg seems to have a lot of sold out GPU's since I started looking at them, I'm hoping they will start introducing some new ones and maybe pull the prices down.  I'm not in a hurry but don't want to wait forever.
  I've got the hot swap drive ready to go in, as far as I can see it should work.  I made a few changes, took out a lock, I have the tray able to slide all the way out.
Carl2
Posted January 14, 2018, 00:31:01 AM Logged

I tried out the hot swap drive, I was fortunate that I could take out the slot cover and slide it in so I didn't have to remove the front cover. It didn't work.  I already spent a lot of time and effort positioning the SSD to slide back an forth in and out of the connector.  Maybe I'll look at it again in the future. 
Carl2
Posted January 15, 2018, 12:50:10 PM Logged

I remember doing a few speed tests on the M.2, the first test gave me 1.8 Ghz/ sec, after I got a 2.2 Ghz / sec, and I got a 2.7 Ghz/ sec.  Compared to the Sata SSD this is so very fast.  I wish I knew more about computers.
Carl2
Posted January 16, 2018, 13:17:05 PM Logged

Offline Data
United Kingdom Administrator

Carl I feel that I should point out that you don't mean Ghz/ sec but you do mean GB/s.

You are right though, your M.2 is much faster than SATA SSD  thumbsup
Posted January 16, 2018, 17:35:06 PM Logged

Thanks for pointing that out, Ghz/ sec would have been the CPU clock speed probably focused on getting the numbers right.  The Boot time is acceptable but it's a why isn't it faster?
Carl2
Posted January 17, 2018, 12:55:47 PM Logged

Online Freddy
United Kingdom WWW Administrator

What, PC parts not doing what the companies say they will  Shocked

But seriously, my boot time varies a lot. It's got to load a lot of stuff and sometimes there may be changes or updates to compute. That's my guess.

Be happy and spend the time making yourself a coffee.
Posted January 17, 2018, 17:53:03 PM Logged

Dust Filters for the HP, it's on the bed while I wait for some epoxy to dry since the covers I bought are to large.  I'm using a nylon screen, 1 vertical and 1 diagonal to catch dust.  The shop vacuum has a paper filter but probably has to much resistance to the air flow.  I did find some foam that seems perfect, wish I had more of it.  I used some to cover the PS air inlet.  Pretty small heat sink in this computer,  only 2 fans in it, one fan in the rear draws air in and  one on the heat sink.  A very small GPU in it but it does the job.  Pretty happy with both computers, Not much on either computer since I had to reinstall win 10 on the HP but it was always around  10 sec, maybe a delay after a new windows update. 
Carl2
Posted January 17, 2018, 18:33:07 PM Logged

I think I've done the best I can putting filters into both computers, maybe it'll slow down there eventual deaths.  The next challenge will be to install a GPU in the coffee lake with out turning the case into an oven.  Right now I'm thinking of having independent upper and lower sections each with it's own fans. One for the CPU and one for the GPU.  I just started the coffee lake, M.2 speeds were 2,714 GB/sec, CPU clock speed 4,065 GHZ/sec in one test another test different software gives 4,700 GHZ.  Core temps has a high of 58 C.  Except for the differences in CPU clock speed the numbers look good.
Carl2
Posted January 18, 2018, 13:13:30 PM Logged

Offline Data
United Kingdom Administrator

Carl the GPU will only make a lot of heat when under heavy loads, as you wont be doing that much at all it will probably stay cool most of the time.

Except for the differences in CPU clock speed the numbers look good.
Carl2

On a modern PC the clock speeds alter depending on the CPU load, that is normal and correct.
Posted January 18, 2018, 13:36:19 PM Logged

Two different softwares are used, I think one reading is what the cpu is going to run at under test which is the lower 4,065 and the 4,700 is a higher reading it took from a setting in the bios or now UEFI which would set the Max clock rate for the CPU.  Right now the computer is doing nothing, temps are very low, and the clock rate gives 4,700 it has to be a high rate it read from UEFI or temps would be higher.
  Agreed a heavy load on the GPU causes higher temps some even have the fans turn off at idle.  You even have GPU's with blower motors that vent exhaust air out the case but they run hotter.  Maybe I'd have to buy a game to test out the setup.  Guess it's a challenge something to make me think, how do I do this, like the make a UEFI disk it took a while but kind of fun when done.
Carl2
Posted January 18, 2018, 14:31:31 PM Logged

The M.2 continues to go up in speed, it's at 2.890which is nice,  the clock speed for the CPU stays a little under 4,100 which is what its set at.  I watched the core temps go up during stress test and I'm very interested in bringing them up to 4,500 pretty much out of curiosity.  I don't think it would help boot time though.  There is a little beeper I found in a plastic bag that should be connected to the motherboard, I'm not sure if I'll like it but I should give it a try.
Carl2
Posted January 20, 2018, 17:47:08 PM Logged

I found I can't go higher than 4.1 Ghz on the CPU, I guess I'd have to change the CPU voltage to do that.  Maybe I'll try it in the future.  I think the DVD drive in the HP needs to be looked at since it could Install Dragon, I moved it to a flash drive to do the install.  Not much going on and there is a lot of free time.
Carl2
Posted January 21, 2018, 19:17:43 PM Logged

So I'm actually covering the HP and the Coffee lake here,  I put another DVD in the HP and it was able to read the DVD and install Dragon.  The mic still has a feed back problem hindering the software from processing the audio, it's unable to dictate to a web page and a few other issues. My version let me have a few trials then must be activated for continued use, I've already used up my activations so it's not usable.  There is also a update for the software which may improve things but I'm unable to get the update.
  I was a bit disappointed in the Coffee lake, at this point I can only get it running at 4.1 Ghz, I'm not sure it would get to the boost frequency of 4.5 Ghz.  I'm still unfamiliar with this but a video showed increasing the CPU voltage should be used but this increases the wattage that increases the temp.   A little progress made but things could be running smoother.
Carl2

Posted January 23, 2018, 13:09:32 PM Logged

After checking the UEFI and taking notes on things, lots of settings I don't know much about,  I went into windows and opened up the Intel bench testing.  I did a stress test on the CPU to see what temps it reaches with time.  The test automatically turns of and I just reset the time to 1 hour.  The test plots the CPU frequency, CPU utilization, and Package temp.  The frequency stays at a constant 4.5 GHz, CPU utilization stays at a constant 100%, and the temp is varing at between 74 and 58 degrees, the plot looks like the edge of a saw blade.  I'll probably go into the UEFI and take a look at the Fan curve settings.  About 66 C average, exhaust air is warm but at a pretty low speed.
Carl2
Posted January 29, 2018, 15:47:49 PM Logged

After running the Intel test for some time I finally noticed the Power level in the Hardware test that was running at the same time showed the power level changed from one level to another, this is probably what is causing the saw tooth shape I'm seeing in the temp graph.  I was also trying to get the CPU fan to increase speed but unable to do this in UEFI.  The connector for that fan is located behind the air outlet and I'd have to take all that apart to get at the connector. I'd like to run the fan at full speed and see how that works.
Carl2
Posted January 30, 2018, 13:23:53 PM Logged
PC Hardware
Topic Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31
Jump to:  

Site Activity
Most Online Today: 203
187 Guests, 2 Users
Freddy, Urania