Intel Coffee Lake PC Hardware

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Hosted in the Cloud RSS

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

1 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 23:08:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum
Web
Gallery

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32

Intel Coffee Lake

Viewing: 0 Members and 5 Guests       Total Views: 266803

Offline Carl2 Topic starter
United States Posts: 1266

I ended up going into bios and using the ultra fast boot and the computer booted to the M.2, the Plexer was plugged in and presented no problems.  The computer is running at 4.3 GHz seems to be using the internet.   So I think the bios has a memory and AI in it.  During a start yesterday I noticed the start screen gave me a choice of pressing F1 or F2 for different options.  Well the M.2 is up and running, I have use of the DVD, and I have a back up SSD with windows on it. I'll have to check out bios and do a stress test.
Carl2
Posted February 10, 2018, 12:44:54 PM Logged

To get the computer going again I had to clear the bios.  I checked the bios and just about everything was set to auto and I left it that way except for the fan settings which I changed.  Also a few new fans were put in and it was nice to have 4 pin fans to go with 4 pin connectors.  Knowing a little more about temps when running I changed the fan curves.  Booting up and doing some testing I get a 4.3 Ghz idle speed, but stress testing increases the speed to 4.7 Ghz.  With stress testing I get temps in the 50's and 60's.
I like the speeds and temps, I'd  like to try it out with Dragon and see how well it works.
Posted February 11, 2018, 12:45:52 PM Logged

Offline sybershot
United States WWW Posts: 1446

thumbsup thumbsup
Posted February 11, 2018, 16:36:20 PM Logged

I was just notified about a video card I signed up for "GeForce GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 Graphics Card"  $449  which is great but I'm not sure if it is right for me.  Dual slot,  H 4.4 in, l 10.4 in  power 150 W.  A maybe but I'll look around first. 
Carl2
Posted February 12, 2018, 11:46:02 AM Logged

I put a bid in on the Video card but got over bid so I'm out on that one.  Big thing for me now is getting the DVD to work correctly, I tried a few things from fix it videos but nothing works so far. 
Carl2
Posted February 13, 2018, 21:34:35 PM Logged

Online Data
United Kingdom Administrator

Big thing for me now is getting the DVD to work correctly, I tried a few things from fix it videos but nothing works so far. 
Carl2

Careful Carl, you don't want to up-set the fast booting and the internal drive controllers with an old spinning disk, I'm serious, put the DVD drive in your old HP and grab an external USB DVD for your new build  thumbsup   

https://www.newegg.com/External-CD-DVD-Blu-Ray-Drives/SubCategory/ID-420?Tid=196385
Posted February 14, 2018, 11:12:00 AM Logged

The DVD was bought for that computer and originally worked as it should,
I'd replaced the one in the HP with one laying around because the original was so slow and that helped, its quite a bit quicker than it had been.
The HP also uses the UEFI and the setting is for a Quick boot, if there is a disk in the DVD it shows up in file explorer, this doesn't happen in the coffee lake I think it did at first, the DVD is listed in Windows /Boot/DVD. 
Lately I've been using the HP to copy disks to USB sticks.
Thinking of trying the HP DVD in the Coffee lake.
Carl2
Posted February 14, 2018, 13:29:03 PM Logged

Online Data

Here is an interesting fact, the DVD was invented in 1995:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

But people still insist on using them over 20 years later.

Old habits die hard I guess Wink

Posted February 14, 2018, 13:48:19 PM Logged

Window is on disk, the Asus software is on disk, the Plexor DVD software is on disk, not much of a choice. I've put a lot on USB but need a DVD to copy it from, I don't think they will be giving software on USB anytime soon.  I opened up the DVD from the HP that wasn't working right, pretty interesting how they have it working. 
Carl2
Posted February 14, 2018, 23:42:37 PM Logged

Online Data

But carl windows is better installed from flash drive, the most recent Asus software can be downloaded from their site. This can all be done another way now  thumbsup
Posted February 15, 2018, 00:05:07 AM Logged

Ways around everything it seems, still need to get the DVD to work correctly which should be a simple thing.
Carl2
Posted February 15, 2018, 12:28:59 PM Logged

I found the problem, I replaced the Sata cable to the DVD and it worked, the problem now is the computer wants me to put a boot DVD into the DVD.  I tried the win 10 disk and it tried to repair the computer without success. The boot 1 is the M.2 the others are disabled but it keeps saying put a boot disk in.  With the DVD disconnected trying to boot it still wants to use the DVD as the boot source.  I just cleared cmos and it was able to load from the M.2  Connecting the DVD when in windows shows the DVD in file explorer and it is shown in device manager.  A restart will choose the DVD but disconnecting the drive and it will boot from the M.2. A mess
Carl2
Posted February 15, 2018, 22:01:01 PM Logged

Offline DaveMorton
United States WWW Global Moderator
Comfort the Disturbed! Disturb the Comfortable!

That sounds like a boot order problem. You might be able to get at least some measure of success by moving the SATA cable for the DVD to the lowest priority (highest numbered) socket, which usually isn't included in the boot hierarchy. This doesn't always work, but it's worth a shot.
Posted February 15, 2018, 22:06:27 PM Logged
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961!
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

Online Data

Every time you reset the cmos the PC will try to boot from DVD.

You need to go into bios and set boot priority to UEFI hard drive.

Then set the Samsung as the priority drive.

Posted February 16, 2018, 00:11:02 AM Logged

I think you both make good points, myself I'm not that sure about anything,  I can say I think at one time it worked correctly.  I do remember going into bios and seeing the DVD and M.2 in the easy mode, in advanced mode the M.2 was made boot priority 1 the DVD did not show up anywhere in the boot priority but it did try to boot from the DVD, I had to disconnect both leads to use the M.2 for boot.
  I'm fairly sure if the DVD is connected it will want a DVD boot, and that is what happened.  Shut down and reboot F2 is not bringing me into bios it wants to boot from the DVD.  Shutdown and reboot press F11 gives me a boot choice I press the EVO M.2 and the DVD wants to boot.  I restart again ond go into bios, the bios has changed with use, I now have the M.2 first and plexor dvd second but DVD is chosen.  I keep thinking it has the wrong driver.
Carl2
Posted February 16, 2018, 13:06:53 PM Logged
PC Hardware
Topic Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32
Jump to:  

Site Activity
Most Online Today: 234
178 Guests, 3 Users
Data, Freddy, Urania