Intel Coffee Lake PC Hardware

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Hosted in the Cloud RSS

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

1 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2018, 20:12:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum
Web
Gallery

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Intel Coffee Lake

Viewing: 0 Members and 2 Guests       Total Views: 155263

Offline Carl2 Topic starter
United States Posts: 1113

Power Supply, fan, thermal paste and Peltier coolers have been ordered, all except for the coolers should be here shortly but the coolers will be 2 or 3 weeks to get here.
  Hapetk is not doing well and I have no idea what the problem is. The Hal program works well but getting the correct character to display while changing background and clothing is not working.
Carl2
Posted March 07, 2018, 12:04:35 PM Logged

I spent a bit of time yesterday putting an analog meter on a front panel slot, the meter will be used with a thermistor to monitor CPU temp.  The voltage signal going to the meter will also turn on the cooler, for example when the temp is 60 C voltage is applied to the cooler and  the  cooler begins cooling  the CPU.  Digital meters can be bought for a few dollars but working voltages are not given and probes are to large. Guess I'll start calibrating the meter and go from there.
Carl2
Posted March 10, 2018, 13:13:58 PM Logged

Online Freddy
United Kingdom WWW Administrator

Interesting mod. Take some photos and post them  Grin
Posted March 10, 2018, 13:35:53 PM Logged

I'll try taking some photos, guess I can reduce size so they will be posted, I also have some leds going in,  Power is on, power going to cooler, maybe an overheat.  Switching the Cooler on and off at  10 amps  is the difficult part at this time, no more Radio Shack.
Carl2
Posted March 10, 2018, 16:16:51 PM Logged

Looking through the electronic that I can find,  I did find a transistor that can handle 15 A so that can power the cooler. It is recommended not to use Pulse Width Modulation with the cooler but for starters and finding the best current it is much easier so I'd like to try it.  Simple circuit and I can just take it out if it seems to waste power.  It's the only method that controls power without wasting power.  Anyways Newegg is getting lots of electronic items through China so I looked at a US distributer, good prices maybe a reasonable delivery time.  They also sell Peltier Coolers but at a much higher price but many are in stock, there is no size info given which I'd like but they give a lot more info, I hope we are not getting junk from China.
Carl2
Posted March 11, 2018, 20:10:11 PM Logged

I did a little testing on the coffee lake yesterday with interesting results, I simply stress tested the CPU for 10 min And measured the exhaust temps of the heat sink, I'm doing it again so I have some numbers.  Before starting the room temp is 70 F, the exhaust air is 70 F a monitor says the CPU package temp is 77 F.  Running the test for 5 min the CPU is 149 F exhaust air is 70 F,  CPU power is from 72 W to 123 W.  After 10 min the same results as 5 min.  I'd say we have plenty of air passing through the heat sink since air exiting the heat sink is not even being heated up.
  Since I'm interested in water cooling I began thinking of cooling water with the Peltier cooler and passing cool water to the CPU, the heat generated by the cooler could be passed out using the existing heat sink.
Sounds interesting to me. No radiator for the water since it would warm up the water.
Carl2
Posted March 12, 2018, 12:03:57 PM Logged

Offline DaveMorton
United States WWW Global Moderator
Comfort the Disturbed! Disturb the Comfortable!

So replace the usual LCU radiator with a Peltier/heatsink? An interesting notion that has some potential. Any condensation would be AWAY from the CPU, which is a bonus, the unit could use a smaller, less obtrusive heatsink than before, which is a plus as well, and with the right balance between size and efficiency, you may be able to forgo the noise of a fan. The only real downside is that your cooling liquid would have to be glycol-based, so as to prevent freezing of the coolant. Smiley
Posted March 12, 2018, 15:01:27 PM Logged
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961!
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

I just put an order in for some electronic parts.  got the order confirmation and gets shipped today from South Carolina.  According to my thoughts the cooler turns on at temps about 40 F, I'm thinking more power goes to the cooler with higher CPU temps.  One thing is the water going through the radiator will be about 70 F where a cooled water will supply water at say 40 F therefore better cooling for the CPU.  It would be nice if
it was more efficient, not sure at this time if it will be. Got to go one step at a time, the first step is to just put the cooler on the CPU and see how well controlling the cooler is.  You don't get something for nothing that cooler is using up watts.
Carl2
Posted March 12, 2018, 18:05:57 PM Logged

Looking at the expected temps I could get from the CPU I've got to put a new face on the meter I'm going from 10 C to 90 C or 50 F to 194 F,  I'll have to see if I can find decals.  Not that much to do till parts come in.
Carl2
Posted March 14, 2018, 10:31:08 AM Logged

I came across a real good review a person wrote while building a Peltier Cooler build.  Naturally he recommended the sealed Peltier, he was a bit like me trying to stay away from condensation as well as frost forming. 
There was also a link to a manufacturing website that gave a pretty good description of the Peltier both heating and cooling.   The review was in Toms hardware but I can't find it today. 
Carl2
Posted March 15, 2018, 14:01:43 PM Logged

Decals for the meter can not be found in stores or online, got an idea that I'll give a try.  A package to be delivered has been delayed, I gave UPS a call and since it is not out to be delivered I'll pick it up today, It's time like this I fee like I'm in over my head.
Carl2
Posted March 16, 2018, 13:16:02 PM Logged

While setting up the meter to read temp it got damaged, sticky needle, cant find a replacement meter the correct size but there is a digital led volt meter that should work.  It comes from China so it'll take forever to get here.  The Peltier coolers have been shipped from China, a week or so to get here.  I do have larger meters I can use in the mean time to get the project going.   A PS just came in, smallest computer PS I've seen, also a high air flow fan, I have to find a way to get it to power up without pressing buttons, you connect one wire to another.  Teddy still has to get to the vet for his Rabies shot.
Carl2
Posted March 17, 2018, 11:41:22 AM Logged

I've put aside today to get the temp sensor working,  Turning on the PS is easy connect the green wire to ground.
Carl2
Posted March 18, 2018, 14:16:54 PM Logged

I didn't get much done yesterday on the PS, connecting the green wire to ground turned on the fan but I got no voltages, I called Newegg and it will be sent back money to be refunded with shipping costs.  Guess I'll order another plus the digital meter.  The thermostat is now working as it should, it has a manual setting and a program setting, it must have been changed during the daylight savings time change.
Carl2
Posted March 19, 2018, 11:47:47 AM Logged

I sent the PS back yesterday UPS, from the east coast to the west coast $16.00, Newegg must get a discount for large volume.  I have to call and give them the tracking number.  Maybe I can move forward on getting some temp measurements.
Carl2
Posted March 20, 2018, 11:34:45 AM Logged
PC Hardware
Topic Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23
Jump to:  

Site Activity
Most Online Today: 197
178 Guests, 3 Users
Data, Freddy, Urania