Intel Coffee Lake PC Hardware

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Hosted in the Cloud RSS

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

1 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2018, 20:23:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum
Web
Gallery

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]

Intel Coffee Lake

Viewing: 0 Members and 2 Guests       Total Views: 155275

Offline Carl2 Topic starter
United States Posts: 1113

I've gone back to using the magnets, the heat sink is not made for attaching anything to it, very thin aluminum sheets are used, I'd have to build a cage around the heat sink then find a way to attach the fan to the cage.   Even the fan is difficult to attach anything to. 
Carl2
Posted June 05, 2018, 17:42:39 PM Logged

I needed something at Harbor Freight so I went there and also wanted to try to find some magnets, I'd picked up some magnets from there ages ago but they are to large.  This time I was able to find some smaller ones, rare earth magnets that are pretty small but powerful.  I'll probably have to remove the heat sink to mount everything, There is also just using masking tape to mount the fan which is quick and easy. I'll have to take off the heat sink when putting in the Peltier  and could do the magnets then.
Carl2
Posted June 05, 2018, 22:47:12 PM Logged

The fan is attached to the heat sink using tape,  the graphics card is installed, on boot there is no display on screen.  I had to remove the graphics card to get a display.  I found the DVD with instructions and the drivers, I guess you boot up and put in the drivers, then you would put in the graphics card  and with luck it would load the graphics and display on screen.  Well moving forward I guess.
Carl2
Posted June 06, 2018, 02:33:27 AM Logged

Offline DaveMorton
United States WWW Global Moderator
Comfort the Disturbed! Disturb the Comfortable!

There may also be a setting in the UEFI/BIOS to switch from onboard graphics to PCIe that may also need to be altered, so be on the lokout for that.
Posted June 06, 2018, 03:36:27 AM Logged
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961!
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

Online Data
United Kingdom Administrator

Make sure all the power connectors are connected up, I believe the 1080 Ti has 2 connectors - they both need to have plugs in them. 

And obviously you must connect the monitor to the graphics card as well.
Posted June 06, 2018, 10:35:04 AM Logged

"And obviously you must connect the monitor to the graphics card as well. "
A very good point,  I didn't even think of this when frist trying out the card, I just connected to the standard HDMI port which I originally used.
Carl2
Posted June 06, 2018, 13:19:10 PM Logged

Online Data
United Kingdom Administrator

I've found out over the years that it's normally the simple things that stop computers working  Smiley
Posted June 07, 2018, 10:38:22 AM Logged

I think it's amazing how we keep pushing the limits, we ask so much more of the processors, the graphics cards and the cooling.  Put a disk in the computer and it will find the problem and fix it. 
Carl2
Posted June 07, 2018, 13:15:20 PM Logged

Got the graphics card up and running, big pain though, I tried to install the drivers but the card has to be plugged in for it to download.  I put the card in, forgot to provide power which showed on the screen.  I've got to sign in, e mail address not getting verified so I try Google mail address, the name is already taken so I get another address and password to sign in. More things to put in that I'll do later, not sure what other things are needed. 
Carl2
Posted June 08, 2018, 02:06:35 AM Logged

Offline DaveMorton
United States WWW Global Moderator
Comfort the Disturbed! Disturb the Comfortable!

Thanks for the update, Carl. Good to see that you got the GPU going. One less thing to worry about. Smiley
Posted June 08, 2018, 02:14:29 AM Logged
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961!
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

The graphics card is up and running and has the drivers installed, now I'm trying to put in some other software that has to be downloaded, I have to become a member and I'm using a Google e mail address and have to use an activation code that is sent to me but it's not being accepted yet.  I've got the Nvidia control panel in the control panel.  The fan in the card hasn't turned on yet, maybe I'll buy some game to give the card something to do.
Carl2
Posted June 08, 2018, 14:25:05 PM Logged

Online Freddy
United Kingdom WWW Administrator

Usually people buy a card because of a game, not the other way around  lol  Wink
Posted June 08, 2018, 15:54:29 PM Logged

Finding the right game would be a challenge, for now getting an activation code is the challenge.  I should be able to get into the Peltier cooler soon, for me that's more interesting than a game.
Carl2
Posted June 09, 2018, 12:29:45 PM Logged
PC Hardware
Topic Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]
Jump to:  

Site Activity
Most Online Today: 197
173 Guests, 3 Users
Freddy, Data, Urania