Intel Coffee Lake PC Hardware

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Hosted in the Cloud RSS

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

1 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2018, 15:54:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum
Web
Gallery

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30

Intel Coffee Lake

Viewing: 0 Members and 4 Guests       Total Views: 224553

Online Carl2 Topic starter
United States Posts: 1230

I have a four sided plastic tube, plastic glue holding the sides together and epoxy on the outside for a little extra strength.  The next piece will be the bottom that will be copper for heat transfer.  I'll probably use silicone to hold the copper in place,  I'd like to keep in mind the expansion rate of plastic and copper while putting the cooper in place.  From having an aquarium I've found the majority of glues will not hold up if left in water, the plastic glue I used does not mention if it is affected by water, silicon will also be used on the inside where the joints are.  I'll probably leave it in water a few days before use.
Carl2
Posted July 02, 2018, 11:33:09 AM Logged

I spent quite a bit of time yesterday making the bottom piece for the water container, simply a square piece that has a snug fit into the bottom, this square piece has a square cut out of the bottom to allow copper plates to bring cold into the water area.  The cooper plate covers almost the entire bottom surface and has fins for more area for cooling.  stacked plates are soldered together where more thickness is required and fins are also soldered.  Silicone will be used to hold the cooper plate to the bottom plastic piece.  The tube will become a box when a top is made for it and the whole box needs to be insulated.
Carl2
Posted July 03, 2018, 13:05:59 PM Logged

I found I needed another cooper square to the bottom of the cooper piece
this makes it long enough to reach the cold plate on the Peltier. I drilled holes to keep the 4 beneath it aligned so all the plates wouldn't be sliding around.  I just put the plastic bottom on the water reservoir, on top of this will sit the cooper piece using silicon.  I planned on soldering cooper fins for more surface, I can't provide enough heat to solder so I'll drill holes and use 1/4 inch copper rods and solder fins on the rods. It's coming along good
and I can't wait to get it hooked up and running.  Also it would be nice it there was a way to secure the water reservoir to the Peltier.
Carl2
Posted July 04, 2018, 18:54:21 PM Logged

I drilled holes partway through the cooper bottom, for what ever reason the holes are a bit to large and need some shims to hole them for soldering into the base.  I'll stop at a hobby store and pick up some brass tubing.  Once I get the cooper plate in I have a bottom and can begin using it. Still needs a cover and installation.
Carl2
Posted July 05, 2018, 13:14:18 PM Logged

A needed day off while I wait for the right size brass tubing to be delivered to the hobby shop.  Right now I'm using aluminum tubing that works  but brass can be soldered which I prefer.
Carl2
Posted July 06, 2018, 13:51:03 PM Logged

I called the hobby shop and they had the right size tubing in brass, I drove over and picked it up.  Not quite the same as aluminum tubing the
 ID was a little smaller and I had to turn down the rods a little.  I made a
top piece to hold the rods straight up while the solder was liquid so I have some extra surface area.  When I finished that I used some silicon to hold the cooper bottom piece in place.  Tomorrow I'll put some water in and see if it leaks.  I'd like to put some silicon along the corners to keep the water from getting to the plastic cement, a syringe would be ideal but it means wasting a syringe and needle.  I started making the top cover, not going that good so I quit for now.  I don't know why I vape and I don't know why I'm doing this.
Carl2
Posted July 06, 2018, 23:51:29 PM Logged

Offline DaveMorton
United States WWW Global Moderator
Comfort the Disturbed! Disturb the Comfortable!

I would imagine that either you enjoy the challenge, or, at least, can't leave a challenge unsolved. Either way, it's good to engage the mind in pursuits like that, as it keeps your mind pliable and well honed. Keep at it, Carl! You're doing great! Cheesy
Posted July 07, 2018, 01:55:17 AM Logged
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961!
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

Online Data
United Kingdom Administrator

You are building a unique cooling solution Carl, sounds like a worth while project to me  Smiley
Posted July 07, 2018, 11:12:18 AM Logged

I woke up early and tested the reservoir and the bottom leaks a medium amount,  maybe it needs more silicone at the bottom.  It's not made for taking apart but I used a large vice and pushed out the bottom plastic with the cooper plate.  I was able to separate the plastic and plastic bottom with a razor knife.  I'll have to do some cleaning and put it back together again.
I had looked for something premade but was unable to find anything.  Nice equal thickness of silicon going all the way to the sides might do it.  I like the cooper bottom, maybe a tin can would be easier.  Thanks for the encouragement it comes in handy at times like this.
Carl2

Posted July 07, 2018, 12:46:15 PM Logged

Cleaned and put back together, the plastic bottom filed to put a v shaped grove between the bottom and side allowed more glue to be put in.  Plastic glue was also used on the inside  More silicon put between the plastic bottom and cooper piece which was which was squeezed out putting the pieces together and had to be wiped off.  Testing showed a small leak caused by an accidental small hole for the rod being drilled through the bottom.  Filling the hole with silicon and putting silicon on the inside sealed the leak.  The reservoir holds 1 cup of water, 8 ounces easy to use BTU's.
Now I can move forward.
Carl2
Posted July 08, 2018, 14:09:28 PM Logged

I was able to do the testing for the water tank yesterday a quick summary  would be room temp 80 F,  1 cup of water 8 oz 80 F in the tank,
it was able to reach 40 F after increasing some thermal paste but took 1/2
hour.  These results were with 1/2 inch of foam around the tank.  Not happy with the results I tried a test I had done earlier. A 50 ml container, glass was filled with 30 ml of tap 70 F  water and cooled, it reached a temp of 60 F, the results were much worse than originally obtained.  Earlier the water had gone from 70 F to freezing in minutes.
  This morning I woke up early and began taking apart the Peltier unit,  cleaned off the thermal paste and cleaned the cooper. I just cleaned off the Peltier unit. now to put it back together.
Carl2
Posted July 09, 2018, 12:42:26 PM Logged

I got to the point where I'm holding the plastic piece against the foam thermal insulation.  Using just screws causes bending of the plastic, I ended up using brass tubing witha copper  sheet at the coners to hold the screw.  Still working on this.  This is why people say stay with the simplest solution.
Carl2
Posted July 10, 2018, 11:30:37 AM Logged

The plastic and brass tubing is complete, lots playing around with it to get the holes to line up but done.  The thermometer I was using is not working as it should, readings are way off.  A meter on top and a long stainless steel shaft, I'm thinking it averages the shaft temp and displays the result.
I'll have to get my meter going again and use that for accurate readings.
Carl2
Posted July 10, 2018, 22:38:42 PM Logged

I played around with the meter I made yesterday, I was unable to get ice but the meter reading was at 32 degrees.  To change phase from liquid from solid I think it's 32 extra calories need to be added, that did not happen yesterday and it stayed a liquid.  Today the room temp is 79 F. the
50 ml glass container has been wrapped in insulation,  I've marked room temp and 32 F (mixture of ice and water) on the meter.  A very small amount of water placed in the container.  After 5 min the water begins to turn to ice.  Things are looking better today
  I added more water and a cover, initial temp 80 F  about I min time about 32 F,10 min still water 32 f, 14 min ice is forming.
  Plastic tank 1/2 cup of water, initial temp 80 F.  2 min temp 55 F, 7 min low 40's, 9 min 32 F, 15 min water temp at top water level ( 1 1/2 inches of water) about 40 F.
  Not to bad if I can circulate water at 35 to 40 degrees instead of 80 F to the CPU.
Csrl2
Posted July 11, 2018, 12:51:22 PM Logged

Repeat test with 1/2 inch insulation.  Room temp 80 F, 1/2 cup of water 80 f.  Temp probe at bottom of tank.
3 min going down about 75
8 min more than half way down to 32, about 55
11 min about 40
20 min  32 F
It took over twice as long to cool to 32, higher humidity, thermal paste not as good.
Today the temp near the top of the water level is 32 F I'm cooling more water in the tank
  I guess I'll move to the transistor on off.
Carl2

Posted July 11, 2018, 20:47:51 PM Logged
PC Hardware
Topic Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30
Jump to:  

Site Activity
Most Online Today: 188
150 Guests, 3 Users
Data, Carl2, Urania

fast-registration