Intel Coffee Lake PC Hardware

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Hosted in the Cloud RSS

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

1 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2018, 03:28:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum
Web
Gallery

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Intel Coffee Lake

Viewing: 0 Members and 2 Guests       Total Views: 197775

Offline Carl2 Topic starter
United States Posts: 1192

Pretty close to having the system ready to go.  I have the Peltier unit and water blocks held together with plastic pieces  and screws.  I'll have to open it to apply thermal paste and it needs to hold the thermistor which will be movable between the cold and hot side.  I should have it running later today or tomorrow.  I'd also like to be able to get the temp of the water in the bottle.
Carl2
Posted August 05, 2018, 12:05:40 PM Logged

Everything is ready to move into the computer area, still some connectors to be put on so I just need to plug in.  I'll be able to try out the cool loop and the hot radiator loop.  I still want to make a metal tubing the cool water passes through to get that temp.   I still think about the direct Peltier and CPU connection, of course limit the low to above freezing but for now I think this method is safer. I still think about the very low temp a Peltier can get to and wonder about the thermal stress put on components.
Carl2
Posted August 06, 2018, 12:27:17 PM Logged

Unable to get anything done yesterday, I should be able to get started today. 
Carl2
Posted August 07, 2018, 11:53:03 AM Logged

I've got everything connected with tubing. Today I'll check the connections  and put water in the tanks. All the wiring has been done and labeled.  I'm leaving early this morning to get a relatives lawn mowed before it rains latter today.

Posted August 08, 2018, 12:49:20 PM Logged

Warning about the heat today on the radio.  I got the cool loop and hot loop to the radiator going, fan on the radiator turned off.  A small leak on one fitting all the rest have heat shrink tubing so I'll probably put some tubing on it.  The water is cooling down and the hot side is getting warm.  I'll shut it down and turn on the fan.  It started with a warm breeze coming out of the radiator but it cooled down.  Another small leak at the radiator that will have to be fixed.  It takes a while to get all the air out of the system, moving things around to get the air to be pushed out. Lots of extra tubing in the loops which means I get a loss in cooling but this setup would make a good pre cooler if used with the plastic tank.  The temp monitor can not be used at the present time but should be operational during the next run.
Carl2

Posted August 08, 2018, 16:27:58 PM Logged

The radiator is leaking from the threads even with Teflon on the threads, I'll try silicon next.  I'm actually unhappy with the fittings I'm using dince I'd like 90 degree angles but the ones I have are plastic and are to large to use.  I'll look again at the hardware store or try to find a way to make my own, the best fittings I have are just a piece of pipe and don't even need clamps.
Carl2
Posted August 08, 2018, 17:50:07 PM Logged

Silicon on the threads will seal the leak, I found nothing useful for helping with the tubing connections and tried another store.  At the other store I came across a few things that might be useful some 90 degree fittings.  I also came across tubing the same size but a little tighter fitting.
  A big thing is getting a setup that can be easily moved into the computer case.  I have a enormous amount of tubing being use to provide smooth connections to things sitting next to each other.  Maybe take some measurement of the computer case and make a wooden pole structure to hold the radiator high.
Carl2

Posted August 09, 2018, 14:00:06 PM Logged

I have enough wood to build a mock up of the computer,  This extra tubing has got to be cleaned up and it'll make it much easier to put it in the computer.  I really should have some 90 degree bends to clean things up.
Carl2
Posted August 10, 2018, 12:32:00 PM Logged

In case anyone is interested in the size of the case it is H= 18 1/2, W =
8 1/4 and L = 19 1/4.  The wood is cut and waiting for drilling and being screwed together.  I began thinking the cool side should hold very little water since more water would increase the cool down time.  Long runs of tubing would reduce temperatures and should be minimized, 90 degree bend would be helpful for this.  Once I'm finished with the case frame the wood is wasted but I think it will be useful enough to be built. Nice not having to rush to get it done.
Carl2
Posted August 11, 2018, 14:06:23 PM Logged

I've got the wood mock up about done, just have to put in 2 pieces of wood for the radiator, I'll need a lot of 90 degree elbows to go from the bottles to the pumps, the Peltier water block holder will also need a lot of bends.  Soldering for elbows means the tubing has to be taken out of the plastic tops.  I just removed a set of tubes so it looks like this can be done,
the long tube goes to the inlet of the pump, the outlet of the pump goes to the water block then back to the inlet of the bottle.  I'm not sure what can be done with the water block, have to wait till I get there.  I'm sure I'll need more cooper elbows.
Carl2
Posted August 12, 2018, 13:22:04 PM Logged

They have plastic pipes for home plumbing in large sizes but nothing for the smaller sizes like 1/4 inch, this would be ideal for what I'm doing but the smaller size isn't available.  Everything has been taken apart and I will be soldering adaptors and pipes together to get away from large tubing loops.  I've removed the Teflon from threaded fittings and will use silicon. It seems the system is adaptable and changes should be easy enough to do if necessary. Since I had bought out a 90 degree elbow I called the store and was able to locate more at a store in another town. 
Carl2
Posted August 13, 2018, 12:36:51 PM Logged

I visited this new store and found it was much better than the one in Worcester, I was able to get the plastic 90 degree fittings and copper elbows which were the main items I needed and spent a little time hoping I would find something that might save a little time with the building of the loops.  When back at home I played with the fittings trying to find the best configuration, I was hoping to put cooper elbows on the water blocks but found that I can only put on one cooper fitting because of the way it is mounted.  Everything is being taken apart, cleaned and fitted with soldered connections to make the bends.
Carl2
Posted August 14, 2018, 14:26:19 PM Logged

I put in new plastic fittings using silicone instead of the Teflon that didn't work in the pumps.  Going from the plastic water bottle I'm using brass tubing and cooper tubing with 90 degree elbows.  Next is the 2 water blocks, that have one copper and one longer in out connection.  I'm hoping I won't have to use the hose clamps.  I've found the torch is the best tool to use to heat the metal and it is best to test after doing each new connector.  Seems pretty slow but I'm learning as I go.
Carl2
Posted August 15, 2018, 12:48:52 PM Logged

I have to open up the plastic holder for the 2 water blocks and the Peltier and replace the water block with one with fittings on it.  I'll check out the fittings on the cold side before making the changes on the hot side.  Nice to get rid of the extreme lengths of tubing and it explains why people prefer the prebuilt water radiators.
Carl2
Posted August 16, 2018, 10:12:55 AM Logged

I have the bottle connected to the pump that's connected to the water block and back to the bottle which is the cool loop.  Much better using the tubing with elbows instead of long loops of tubing.  Next is to do the same thing with the hot side and goes to the radiator.   I'll have to buy more elbows and more tubing.  For whatever reason I'll make more plastic pieces to hold the water blocks and Peltier in place.  It's also nice I don't have to use the clamps with the tubing.  Nice to have it running with no leaks on the first try.
Carl2
Posted August 17, 2018, 13:05:19 PM Logged
PC Hardware
Topic Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28
Jump to:  

Site Activity
Most Online Today: 182
164 Guests, 1 User
Urania