Laptops PC Hardware

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Hosted in the Cloud RSS

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

1 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2018, 20:23:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum
Web
Gallery

Pages: [1]

Laptops

Viewing: 0 Members and 1 Guest       Total Views: 242

Offline DD1975 Topic starter
England Posts: 1609

Hi guys, hope you are all well?

So looking for a little advice regarding the laptop I bought my daughter last year. It is this:

HP Stream 11-r000na 11.6-Inch HD Laptop (Cobalt blue) - (Intel Celeron N3050, 2 GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, 100 GB OneDrive - 2year subscription included, Intel HD graphics, Windows 10)

Now it's a lovely looking little lappy, perfect in that respect for a 9 year old, but it is ridiculously slow.  For instance if you load a Web page with an inbedded video it hangs and never loads.

So I can now see why she never uses it, I want to get some use out of it do I haven't wasted my money, so any advice on how to speed it up a bit?

I get its not going to play games too well as its nowhere near powerful enough but at the moment it's not really that usable which is a shame.

Thanks guys  Cool
Posted June 02, 2018, 15:20:49 PM Logged
Smoke me a Kipper I'll be back for breakfast - Ace Rimmer

Online Data
United Kingdom Administrator

Quite simply the machine doesn't have enough RAM or hdd space, it's just constantly running out of memory  Sad
Posted June 02, 2018, 15:38:01 PM Logged

That's what I figured, I was hoping there was some inexpensive way of speeding it up a bit to get some use out of it rather than waste my money.

It looks great and the keyboard is really nice to use but it's so frustrating.
Posted June 02, 2018, 15:50:49 PM Logged

Online Data
United Kingdom Administrator

No there isn't anything you can do really DD, ok you could try to remove unused programs and clean it up a bit but it will never make it as good as you would like it. 

Windows 10 needs a minimum of 4 GIG RAM and a 128 GIG SSD to run correctly, actually with the Intel integrated graphics it really should have 6 to 8 GIG RAM.

It annoys me that they even make laptops with such low memory, they shouldn't  angry  sign-sad
Posted June 02, 2018, 16:05:14 PM Logged

Offline DaveMorton
United States WWW Global Moderator
Comfort the Disturbed! Disturb the Comfortable!

Actually, you can try to put a different OS into it, like 32 bit versions of Ubuntu, or (better yet) Android's OS. Both are FAR LESS resource intensive, and should run quite well within the restrictions imposed by the hardware limitations of the laptop. Be warned, however, that switching the OS is not likely to be "entry level", with regard to the skills and experience required to pull it off. I consider myself to be an expert in this area, and it would give me pause to just dive into oa task like that.

That said, however, I think it may well be worth it, for a number of reasons. Let us know if this is something that you might wish to explore further. Smiley
Posted June 02, 2018, 16:39:24 PM Logged
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961!
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

Offline Carl2
United States Posts: 1113

Well I have to mention the hard drive, replace it with a SSD.
Carl2
Posted June 10, 2018, 20:36:58 PM Logged

Thanks guys, been a bit busy so sorry for the slow reply.  Tongue

Data: Clearing some programmes has helped a bit, there were quite a few more in there than I realised and it seems basic web browsing is at least an option now thanks for that.

Dave: While I've got better at working out and sorting issues on a computer, mainly thanks to you guys, I think that replacing the OS is probably a bit beyond me. I'll keep it in mind though maybe one of the IT guys at work might be able to give me a hand if I go down that route in the future.

Carl: Good idea but A) I couldn't afford it right now, and B) I'm not sure you can replace the HD on this little thing.

Appreciate the replies chaps  thumbsup
Posted June 12, 2018, 18:54:56 PM Logged
PC Hardware
Topic Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Site Activity
Most Online Today: 197
172 Guests, 3 Users
Freddy, Data, Urania

fast-registration