thinking about a new pc and server PC Hardware...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Hosted in the Cloud RSS

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

1 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2018, 07:46:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum
Web
Gallery

DatahopaForumComputer RelatedPC Hardwarethinking about a new pc and server

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

thinking about a new pc and server

Viewing: 0 Members and 1 Guest       Total Views: 62267

Offline Freddy
United Kingdom WWW Administrator

Are you doing this stuff a lot or is it just once in a while hobby type things ?

For Daz, the most economical route is to probably buy an nVidia card with as many CUDA cores as you can afford.

Some commercial people use Quadro for Daz, but not as many as the 10xx range at the moment.

Not sure what Max or Maya need for rendering though.
Posted January 05, 2018, 16:41:01 PM Logged

Offline sybershot Topic starter
United States WWW Posts: 1443

Are you doing this stuff a lot or is it just once in a while hobby type things ?
as a hobby for different projects i work on, that is why when i built this system the way i did and did not go for a workstation gpu

however I think it would be nice to have a work station gpu for my renders, and is why i was thinking about putting one on a server.

however I never had a home server and know little about them to be honest, sure i can build a website and add it to a server and do some server management, but to have a home server with a server os is going to be a learning experience.

I installed a couple server os's on vm's and tinkered with them a little bit, I also have and have wamp experience, but never planned out a server build and I am finding it hard to choose the right hardware and software for my needs.

like do i stay with this pc and use 99% of it's hardware and add a server os, or should I build a big dual core xeon cpu based server and take advantage of ecc memory? or should I build a couple of micro servers for websites and data storage and one mid grade server for Virtual machines as Dave suggested?

another thing I am having trouble with, is what server os should I use?
I like the thought of a -non- command line type os like windows sever or ubuntu server, but i like the thought that solaris was built with security from the ground up, but solaris is a command line type os.

ugg!! server research is making me head spin.

Posted January 06, 2018, 01:29:28 AM Logged

Offline Freddy

Yeah it's a lot to think about  Grin

I've thought about having a home server to run sites on, but I get by fine with XAMPP installed on one of my SSDs. I just use it to develop. I did consider running sites at home before, but didn't like that it would probably eat into my internet speeds. Also opening up your home network to the world isn't a great thing.

If you are serious about developing web sites, then XAMPP coupled with a commercial SSD based VPS is fine in my opinion - it's what I do. Or even drop down to HDD. I run about 5 sites on my VPS for £16 a month I think it is. And XAMPP costs me nothing except having the PC turned on. Together with excellent support, you don't have to worry so much about getting the thing to run if you get a managed service.

For home streaming like videos and music, well I thought about that and tried it too. I had a LINUX Ubuntu OS and KODI and things like that. But in the end I rarely used it. I don't convert video to digital and increasingly with HD from places like Netflix and Amazon coming down in price it makes little sense to me now. And music, well I have some MP3, but everything is on YouTube these days, so why buy music any more ?

Occasionally I will buy an album from Amazon Prime to support an artist or if the quality on YouTube is not there. But mostly I listen to older music and I already paid all those bands when I was young !

So for me my most recent purchase of a smart TV covers all my bases. I got all the music I want, loads of included movies and TV and reasonably priced newer movies to buy or rent.

I'll stop there as this could turn into a wall of text.
Posted January 06, 2018, 16:51:42 PM Logged

Thanks Freddy that was some great insight, I have been running my vm's on my ssd which is only 128gb and available space is getting low. I also run wamp for web development off my 1tb hhd and space there is getting low.

So i am looking into the future and see that my previous solutions so far is a mess. I have data duplicated and scattered everywhere on my 2 internal drives and a bunch of external drives. I also have back-ups scattered everywhere and it takes a long time to find data i am looking for.

I got a external 4tb drive that I started to organize all my data on, this is a lot of work and a long proccess, i am not even 1/4th of the way done yet.

another reason for wanting a server is to force me into better data management and back-ups. I could use a nas for this but why just have a nas when i could have a server that has all the nas features and a bunch more. to me a server seems like a win win.

I been doing a lot thinking and here is what i came up with so far.

main machine:
      use a workstation gpu, and have all my content creation programs on the main os for I looked into what Dave said about having them on a vm and even though I can render the programs that do the rendering are not utilizing my gpu. so my renders are taking longer to render than they would if i had them installed on my main os.

server machine:
      1) install nas (may need to be on a vm) and use it for nas feature for all my data needs (back up, organization, streaming, etc.)
      2) use 1 virtual machine for websites and app building and testing
      3) use 1 virtual machine for a mail client unless it is built into main servers os
      4) use multiple virtual machines to run many different pc os's (debian, ubuntu, windows 8, windows xp, etc.)
      5) and eventually home automation and security

I am thinking my final thought for my server would not have to be a behemoth but powerful enough to do above, perhaps a mini itx board, low power consumption xeon processor, and around 16 to 32 gb of ecc memory.

still need to know compatible hardware and what main server os would be best to use.
Posted January 06, 2018, 18:26:49 PM Logged

Offline Freddy

Seems like you are getting a clearer idea of what you need  Smiley

If your current system is not utilising the GPU for rendering, then that really needs fixing. You might be amazed just by the speed increase there.

I'll let Dave and Data drop their thoughts in. Smiley
Posted January 06, 2018, 19:14:21 PM Logged

Offline Data
United Kingdom Administrator

Not much I can add to this topic Syber, but I think you have a good idea of what you need, that is half the battle.

Off Topic:
Personally I would save the money and put it towards an EV  Grin
Posted January 07, 2018, 14:27:07 PM Logged

thanks guys,
I am still researching hardware and set-ups, and most of all I am still almost clueless on picking a main server operating systems, I would hate to get one to find out i can't do this or that down the road. I see there is one that just allows vms and the you install what you need on a vm, however that just seems like it would be a hassle to connect multiple gateways to the vm's from external devises.

Personally I would save the money and put it towards an EV  Grin
perhaps one day for I am not ready atm  Wink
Posted January 08, 2018, 02:29:42 AM Logged

Offline Carl2
United States Posts: 1052

I found something on the Optane  memory I thought you'd like

Carl2
Posted January 09, 2018, 18:11:44 PM Logged

Online DaveMorton
United States WWW Global Moderator
Comfort the Disturbed! Disturb the Comfortable!

It seems to me that Optane is going to be a short-lived thing, as spinning HDD are quickly going the way of the Pentium (I'd say "dinosaur", but the Pentium IS one). Plus, given the limited scope of machines that could use an Optane device, why would anyone go that route, rather than simply get an SSD instead? Makes no sense to me.
Posted January 09, 2018, 18:24:04 PM Logged
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961!
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

Offline Data

It seems to me that Optane is going to be a short-lived thing, as spinning HDD are quickly going the way of the Pentium (I'd say "dinosaur", but the Pentium IS one). Plus, given the limited scope of machines that could use an Optane device, why would anyone go that route, rather than simply get an SSD instead? Makes no sense to me.

I have to agree with that  thumbsup

Standard M.2 NVMe is the best way forward for now on new builds, fast, compatible and relatively cheap to buy.
Posted January 09, 2018, 18:28:04 PM
Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:04:00 AM by Data

Offline Carl2

A little more on this,

Carl2
Posted January 09, 2018, 18:31:08 PM Logged

Those video's refer to the m.2 drives 16 and 32 gb sizes which can be used for better performance in hhd cache or system cache

there is also the larger volume drives for Data read and writes here is a look at them with a a little bit of hype.

and here is an older video that helps explain them bigger optane drives
Posted January 12, 2018, 01:43:01 AM Logged

Offline Data

The P4800X is really a data center drive.

Seeing as we are talking serious speeds and money, the fastest you can get now is Samsung 960 NVMe M.2 in RAID and the best platform for that is AMD Threadripper with all it's PCI lanes. It can achieve 27GB's  Shocked which makes the P4800X look like a turtle.

I know you don't like AMD Syber but to be fair they have the platform with the most CPU cores and the fastest IO throughput of anything we can buy today.
Posted January 13, 2018, 12:39:07 PM
Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 14:18:13 PM by Data

Offline Snowcrash
England Global Moderator

Wow, almost DRAM performance.

With 4 drives on each board and 2 on the (I presume bootable) bit, that's €3k worth of drives + adapters.
Posted January 13, 2018, 13:48:37 PM Logged
“I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Carl2

Lots of changes and lots of new things to learn, also things never mentioned such as why doesn't the ultra fast boot work, the reason is the drive has to be formatted in GPT then the Ultra fast mode will work. 
Carl2
Posted January 13, 2018, 15:04:18 PM Logged
PC Hardware
Topic Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to:  

Site Activity
Most Online Today: 45
41 Guests, 2 Users
DaveMorton, Urania

fast-registration