thinking about a new pc and server PC Hardware...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Hosted in the Cloud RSS

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2018, 11:14:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forum
Web
Gallery

DatahopaForumComputer RelatedPC Hardwarethinking about a new pc and server

Pages: 1 2 [3]

thinking about a new pc and server

Viewing: 0 Members and 1 Guest       Total Views: 1887

Offline DaveMorton
United States WWW Global Moderator
Comfort the Disturbed! Disturb the Comfortable!

If that were, indeed, bootable, then 3 second poot times? That would be cool. Smiley

Way back in the era of Windows 95, there was a program called RAMdisk, that used additional RAM as a virtual HDD. It was really cool how fast it worked, but with the limits to RAM at the time, it wasn't practical at scale. This seems pretty close to that, and I'd love to have a system like it. Sadly, it's nowhere near my budget right now. sign-sad
Posted January 13, 2018, 16:54:10 PM Logged
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961!
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

Offline sybershot Topic starter
United States WWW Posts: 1398

I know you don't like AMD Syber but to be fair they have the platform with the most CPU cores and the fastest IO throughput of anything we can buy today.
It really is not that i do not like them, I would say it is more like drinking coca a cola your whole life and you then try pepsi and it does not taste bad, but you just prefer to continue to drink coke a cola.
It can achieve 27GB's  Shocked which makes the P4800X look like a turtle
If only i would win the lottery, 
If that were, indeed, bootable, then 3 second poot times? That would be cool. Smiley
whith 27GB's per second, boot speed would be like point three seconds no?

just think what pc's will be 20 years from now, a whole entire super computer of today's standards will be on a single chip probably the size of a quarter, dang i will be 62 years old then  Tongue
Posted January 13, 2018, 21:47:50 PM Logged

Online Data
United Kingdom Administrator

The p4800x comes in at $1,790 for 375GB, not exactly cheap either.

Seriously it could be faster and would cheaper per GB to RAID 2 or 3 Samsung 960 M.2's.

Food for thought  Smiley
Posted January 13, 2018, 22:22:22 PM Logged

more food for thought is optane has to be supported by processor and mobo  Evil M$
Posted January 15, 2018, 02:22:16 AM Logged

Offline Carl2
United States Posts: 880

While trying to learn more about servers I found some Newegg videos on building servers, pretty old thou.  Maybe you can get more  by looking in Newegg for servers, also windows makes server OS.

Carl2
Posted January 15, 2018, 14:45:51 PM Logged

Thank you Carl for the video.
I been doing a ton or research on servers and server operating systems.
I found a few operating systems that I like so far.
I only tried one os though on a vm and that was M$ server 2012 and do not like the feel of it.
Currently I am researching Unraid and Xpenology they both look like solid candidates.
I am leaning more towards Unraid and thinking about using it as a server and 2 main systems as in the video below
Posted January 22, 2018, 01:27:05 AM Logged

Online Data

Enjoyed that vid Syber  thumbsup

Finally a build that takes serious advantage of all them CPU cores, the two win 10 VM's each running perfectly on 3 cores.  Cool

A fun but extremely expensive project. 
Posted January 22, 2018, 11:22:09 AM Logged

Offline Carl2

I don't really know enough but I wonder about his choices for storage, a M.2 gives 2.9 gb rates but weren't used, mech drives are so slow I'd at least used SSD's instead.  Also using half the cores has to slow the Game down, ages ago I used a game on different speed computers and the slower computer gave me a big advantage.  Be nice to see a game where players play against one another.
Carl2
Posted January 22, 2018, 13:35:42 PM Logged

Offline DaveMorton

Carl, I'm thinking that the biggest factor that influenced their choices was cost. The 2 SSD they chose were 480GB in size, and the HDD were 3TB, so let's look at the numbers.

On Newegg, I've taken a look at the specs for the MoBo, and it can handle 2 M.2 drives out of the gate, so no need to change it for something else. Good to go, so far.

Two M.2 drives from Corsair run roughly $230 each - not as bad as I had thought, actually, but still a bit pricey, I think.

Two 3TB SSD is where the cost becomes somewhat prohibitive. I only found one drive on Newegg that matches specs, and they were a staggering $2,500 each! eeeek

So $460 for the M.2 drives and $5,000 for the 3TB SSD, or fifty-five hundred bucks in total? That's a big chunk of change there, and more than I spent for my entire system, a few years back.

Plus, I think you're spoiled by speed, mate. Tongue Cheesy
Posted January 22, 2018, 14:31:27 PM Logged
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

Offline Carl2

I go by Data's choice and use Samsung, SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe $120, $230 for 500GB,  if you go to a 1 T it's about $300.
Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal $259.  of course your talking $48 for 1TB mech.  6 gb vs 2 to 3,000 gb/sec.  IF you need that much storage use it. Sybershot will figure out what he needs, he seems to be getting distracted about all the hype about new things.
Carl2
Posted January 23, 2018, 14:24:35 PM Logged

Offline DaveMorton

I was doing as close to an "apples to apples" comparison as I could, which is why I chose the Corsair M.2 drives and the 3TB SSD's. I know that there are less expensive ways to go about it, but there you have it. Tongue
Posted January 23, 2018, 15:29:35 PM Logged
Chat With Morti!

CAPTCHA4us

Online Data

Did a little research to see if anyone had knocked Samsung M.2 off the top spot, it seems that no one has yet.

Rest assured Samsung M.2 owners, you are still the top dogs  thumbsup

Best M.2 SSDs of 2018
Posted January 23, 2018, 22:15:55 PM Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Jump to:  

Site Activity
Most Online Today: 57
36 Guests, 2 Users
Data, Urania

fast-registration