Unknown .DLL file Problem Solving

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:   Password:

Recent Topics

Gallery Latest

Spa Front Row

Viewed 156 Times

2 comment(s)
Detail inside

Viewed 274 Times

0 comment(s)

Changing Weather

Viewed 253 Times

0 comment(s)
Deer at Ash Creek #3

Viewed 194 Times

0 comment(s)

Search The Gallery

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 05:01:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ai Specific Links

Search Modules :    Web Search    Image Search    Wiki Search     Amazon Search    Youtube Search
Here you can post questions and get answers to help you solve problems with Windows based PC’s

We welcome your questions, with over 15 years experience with PC’s we might even find the answer for you.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic:

Unknown .DLL file

(Read 15356 times)
ArtTopic starter
Apprentice Adept

It will come to this one day....

United States United States
Guys,

I often get this pop-up error window:
###########################################################
#There was a problem starting C:\Users\Art\AppData\Local\Apps\AppleComputer\egoret.dll #
#                                                                                                                                               #
#The specified module could not be found.                                                                              #
###########################################################

Obviously it appears to be Apple related, however, I am unable to find ANY reference to this file
through normal search methods (Google, etc.). I have specified Apple file egoret.dll and also entered
just plain egoret.dll. While sometimes the Apple reference file search shows a lot of results tied in
with the name Apple, it shows NOTHING of substance. The other, where I only list the file name,
results are sites who can help one download various .DLL files, None of which are, or contain the
egoret.dll file in any fashion.

My trusted AV software has not reported any malware or reference to that file as well.

So, before I turn the rest of my hair completely silvery white, I am casting this appeal to the many
learned members of this fine community. (how's that for buttering up or kissing up as they say) Wink

Until then, I thank you!
    Posted July 25, 2012, 16:05:39 PM Logged
In the world of A.I. it's the thought that counts!

Data
Administrator
Certified

United Kingdom United Kingdom
I did a search for it too Art, and like you I can’t find any info on the file, this makes me think it might have been a trojan that has been dealt with by your AV. Of course I could be wrong but normally there is something on the web about real DLL files.

Anyway lets assume its been removed for good reason, all you want to do is stop the nag screen about the file.

I would first remove any apple software on the PC, if there is any, by using the Programs and Features option in control panel.

Then reboot.

Then type in MSCONFIG into the start menu, press enter and have a look in the Start Up tab for an entry that points to:

C:\Users\Art\AppData\Local\Apps\AppleComputer

And un-tick it.

If there isn’t anything in the Start Up tab that points to that location have a look in the services tab, put a tick in “Hide all Microsoft services” and see if any of the services have “stopped” next to them in the status column. Or any service that says apple and un-tick it.

Then navigate to “C:\Users\Art\AppData\Local\Apps\AppleComputer” and manually delete the folder AppleComputer.

You will need full admin rights to do most of the above.

Then install any apple software that you need back to the computer.

I don’t know how much you know about computers Art but the info I have given you should help point you in a direction that should help.
    Posted July 25, 2012, 17:42:00 PM Logged

ArtTopic starter
Apprentice Adept

I appreciate your reply!

One thing that is of concern...obviously some program, somewhere in my computer is trying to make a call for this "missing" .dll file and it's either Not able to locate it OR it's all just part of a ruse disguised to appear as a missing .dll. (if that makes sense).

I have been using a paid Anti-Virus program that has been in the TOP three ratings for many years and usually in the first position. I say with confidence that it has never let me down for over 10+ years. That not withstanding, there is still the possibility that someone could have delivered it as an email attachment, update, etc. but at any rate, I need this pop-up or whatever out of here.

BTW, I usually prefer to type in and use SERVICES.MSC as it shows far more than MSCONFIG but that's just my preference.

Hopefully I'll nail this culprit and again, thanks for the assistance! thumbsup
    Posted July 26, 2012, 17:44:43 PM Logged

Data
Administrator
Certified

Well it sounds like you know what you are doing Art, but glad to help if I can in any way.

You could also search the registry for something pointing to or calling the DLL and see what you find.
    Posted July 27, 2012, 16:54:21 PM Logged

ArtTopic starter
Apprentice Adept

Thanks Data, yes that was my next avenue to explore! Great minds think alike and that scares me!! Huh?
    Posted July 29, 2012, 18:31:34 PM Logged

Data
Administrator
Certified

Don’t be scared Art, it is the way of things  Smiley 
    Posted July 29, 2012, 22:21:27 PM Logged

ArtTopic starter
Apprentice Adept

Gee...Thanks for that!! (I think...) scratch-head

Along the same line of thought...here's the result of my Registry search:

egoret-dll.jpg
Unknown .DLL file
* egoret-dll.jpg (63.81 KB, 1088x482 - viewed 312 times.)
    Posted July 30, 2012, 17:11:41 PM Logged

Data
Administrator
Certified

That looks like the culprit Art.

If it was me, I would just delete the entry, it looks perfectly safe to do so. 
    Posted July 31, 2012, 11:49:17 AM Logged

ArtTopic starter
Apprentice Adept

Thanks Data...I was hoping you'd concur with that! It shall be gone!! thumbsup
    Posted July 31, 2012, 12:44:30 PM Logged

Carl2
Apprentice Adept

Art,
  I read what you had posted and thought I'd bring up this point, Antivirus is concerned with things that will stop your computer from running, malware on the other hand is something unwanted but will not stop you from using your computer,  People do make and sell Malware software but the majority of people are concerned with the antivirus software.  I have a cousin and his computer became so sluggish he brought it to BestBuy and had it cleaned for $200.  I've used Spybot search and destroy with luck for some time.
I've used some of the best rated antivirus software and am now using Windows defender.  To each his own but this is what I believe is correct at this time, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Carl2
    Posted October 29, 2013, 23:27:11 PM Logged

Freddy
Administrator
Certified

$200 to clean a PC of junk ?!  They saw him coming  lol
    Posted October 30, 2013, 12:47:00 PM Logged

Data
Administrator
Certified

I charge £45 for a PC clean-up and that includes driving to the customers house.
    Posted October 30, 2013, 13:43:32 PM Logged

Freddy
Administrator
Certified

Data does a quick dusting around the house too on his way out  lol
    Posted October 30, 2013, 13:58:37 PM Logged

Data
Administrator
Certified

Data does a quick dusting around the house too on his way out  lol

Yeah that too  lol

But I will drink all your coffee  Cheesy
    Posted October 30, 2013, 16:30:25 PM Logged

Carl2
Apprentice Adept

Drink all that coffee, feel free to use the bathroom.  I learned to stay from coffee when working on the car, an inch of black grease on your hands and you have to go to the bathroom because of the coffee.
    Posted October 30, 2013, 22:20:43 PM Logged
Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Site Activity:

30 Guests, 1 User
Legion
Todays Active Members
Most Online Today: 34

People found this page searching for:

Unknown .DLL file Problem Solving