LED light bulbs - New Technology

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
User ID   P-Word

Secure Sockets Layer Unlimited Web Hosting RSS
Recent Topics
Gallery Latest

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

0 comment(s)

Search The Gallery
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2021, 15:44:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Ai Specific Links

New Technology, Science etc

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
LED light bulbs
Viewing: 0 Members and 1 Guest       Total Views: 30600

Offline Snowcrash
England Global Moderator

ScrewFix are pretty good on price, check them out and make an account (if you don't have one). They order like Argos.

On their website Q&A for that tube it says this...

Hi, these tubes are designed to be a direct replacement on magnetic ballasts. The tube comes with a 'dummy' starter that is used in place of the old one.

Posted February 26, 2017, 13:56:50 PM Logged
“I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline DaveMorton
United States WWW Global Moderator
Comfort the Disturbed! Disturb the Comfortable!

@Snowy I have an old RCA LCD TV (around 45" or so) that I'm planning on doing just that with. The power supply went out on the TV, so it no longer turns on, but I should be able to find a generic power adapter that I can use to make the light panel work. I may mount it on the ceiling above the computer once I get it all working.

Posted February 26, 2017, 14:35:31 PM Logged
Safe, Reliable Insanity, Since 1961!

Offline Carl2
United States Posts: 3453

Dave,
  I'm pretty sure this TV I'm using for a monitor has Tubes in it, I'm pretty sure the newer TV's now use leds for back lighting, you're project sounds interesting let us know how it works.
Carl2

Posted February 27, 2017, 12:26:05 PM Logged

Offline Snowcrash
England Global Moderator

The give away on whether it's fluorescent or LED back lit LCD is how deep the screen is. An inch or less LED, 2 inches or more fluorescent.

Posted March 01, 2017, 17:02:27 PM Logged
“I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Data Topic starter
United Kingdom Administrator

This has been on the news today:

Climate change: LED lights making dent in UK energy demand

It's a matter of every little counts and now it's starting to have an impact  Cool

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46741346

Posted January 03, 2019, 22:07:20 PM Logged

Offline Carl2

I just ran across an article for motion sensing wireless led lights, I always found the motion sensing lights interesting and thought they would be useful but never put any in.  Its pretty easy to just flick a switch.  Not that sure about wireless, having to change a battery when you have to go into a room.
Carl2

Posted January 04, 2019, 11:59:12 AM Logged

Have you chaps seen these new type of LED Corn Bulbs, they come a variety of brightness and colours and they make some very bright versions too, if you really need some serious amount of light check them out. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Equivalent-Incandescent-Bayonet-Bulbs%EF%BC%8CNon-dimmable-Candelabra/dp/B08BLGWT2Q/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1

Posted November 17, 2020, 02:06:35 AM Logged

Offline Freddy
United Kingdom WWW Administrator

Haven't seen them. I still have lots of the regular JCB ones left, so haven't really been looking.

Posted November 17, 2020, 23:46:11 PM Logged

Offline Snowcrash
England Global Moderator

I'm skeptical about buying cheap brands or unbranded LED bulbs of any type.

They tend to have 2 flaws.
The most apparent is flicker. This is normally due to poor electronics and can also cause the power factor to be off (uses more electricity than you watt meter will show).
The second is related and is earthing/safety. Where the LEDs are not covered, it is possible to get a 240V shock (110V in the US) if you touch the wrong LED. Any COB/Corn bulb with no cover is NOT CE approved. The ones linked to appear to have covers.

Buyer beware.

I still have some G8 type similar to these. One didn't last long and the other I have in use is fine but I use it in a cupboard where the flicker is not apparent.

Posted November 19, 2020, 10:02:20 AM Logged

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Carl2

I'm not sure why but I have so many Led light bulbs around, I don't remember ever having to replace one and never had a flickering problem with them.
Carl2

Posted November 20, 2020, 12:54:55 PM Logged

It's the same with me, I haven't had any problems with LED bulbs in the house, there are probably one or two bad apples in the barrel at times I guess.

The new corn bulbs I linked to are CE and RoHS certificated and advertised as flicker free, the only down side for me is that they are not smart bulbs, hopefully in time some smart corn bulbs will become available, would like to give them a try.

Talking of smart bulbs, I'm going to get another one for the outside light, I want to be able to change the colour of the light at different times of the year, already have a smart bulb in the lamp but I will move that indoors.  

Going to get one of these, great reviews and works with Alexa of course.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-2700K-6500K-Gateway-Required-Equivalent/dp/B07L3S2XLB/

Posted November 20, 2020, 14:11:47 PM Logged

The new smart bulb is up and running with Alexa, I have the bulb set to bright cool white light when I need it to illuminate the drive for getting the car out and have it set to blue for most other times, looks very cool, literally  Cool

Posted November 24, 2020, 19:46:37 PM Logged

Just ordered a new outside light to go next to the front door, should look nice with the new smart bulb in it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Exterior-Diffuser-Compatible-ZLC079CW/dp/B087RLK76B/

Posted November 26, 2020, 15:57:37 PM Logged

Offline Freddy
United Kingdom WWW Administrator

Nice, very modern looking  Cool

Posted November 29, 2020, 00:14:17 AM Logged

Nice, very modern looking  Cool

Yes we thought the same  Smiley

I have it fitted now with the smart bulb in, the bulb is in blue mode.

Here's a pic.

outside-light.jpg
LED light bulbs
* outside-light.jpg (190.24 KB, 1198x1080 - viewed 157 times.)
Posted November 29, 2020, 17:46:44 PM Logged
New Technology, Science etc ...
Topic Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Find this topic interesting? Register to join in.
Jump to:  

Site Activity
Most Online Today: 142
121 Guests, 2 Users
Data, DataBot
Site Activity
Most Online Today: 142
121 Guests, 2 Users
Data, DataBot